*Meeting June 1st at 3:30pm for next year’s Bee team*
It is near the end of the Bee season for this year! Congratulations to Suzanna Murawski, of Ligon Middle School, who will represent Wake County at the Scripps National Spelling Bee in Washington, DC! You can watch the finals of the National Bee on May 29th
. You can also go see the Bee in person — tickets are not required and are first-come, first-served. Get more information at spellingbee.com
Congratulations again to all who participated and to their families and school communities! We are very proud of all the contestants and thankful to the community for supporting this activity. PAGE had a full-page ad in the News & Observer on May 3rd congratulating all our contestants — I hope you had a chance to get a copy. (I’m sorry that I did not let you know ahead of time but I didn’t know myself until after it came out.)
Our next Bee season begins in August. Please keep the Bee in mind as the year ends and your schools make budgetary plans for next year. Registration for the 2014-2015 season opens on August 15th.
Finally, we need your help. In addition to supporting the Bee at your home schools, we are looking for folks to join our team at the regional level. Some of us are moving on to focus on other activities at PAGE and we are looking for 5-7 volunteers to join our team under the directors.
We need leaders to head the following committees and volunteers to help on these teams:
1. Sponsorship — this committee looks for sponsorship opportunities and works with sponsors throughout the Bee season.
2. T-shirts — from working on the design to getting it produced to getting it to students, this committee makes the t-shirts happen.
3. Communication — this team handles ongoing email communication, welcoming registering schools, getting information to Bee coordinators, families and students competing at the regional bee.
4. Venue — this team manages the logistics of the Bee venue, choosing a site and communicating with site team as to Bee needs.
5. Media — Get the word out about the Bee to help schools register and to folks learn about it, work with media.
6. Volunteer Coordinator — help find and manage volunteers for Bee day and other tasks.
If you are interested in joining us at the Regional level, please come to a meeting at the Hoffman Room at Community United Church of Christ at 3:30pm on Sunday, June 1st. 814 Dixie Trail, Raleigh, NC 27607. Children are welcome and we will provide games for them as we talk. If you are interested but cannot attend, please email and let us know.
What: Meeting for next year’s Bee team
When: 3:30pm June 1st
Where: Hoffman Room, Community United Church of Christ
814 Dixie Trail, Raleigh, NC 27607.
Congratulations to all for a wonderful Bee season and we hope to see you on June 1st!